1. You. The Writer. Tell us about your most recent work.
2. Tell us a little bit more about yourself. In five words. Max.
Driven, bibliophile, landscape-lover, introvert, curious.
3. Which writers inspired you? Name only five.
Enid Blyton, Agatha Christie, PD James, Ruth Rendell, Henning Mankell
4. What are you reading at present? Only one title allowed.
This is How it Ends by Eva Dolan
5. What is your guilty pleasure? On this one, take your time, be as explicit as you like. We like dirt.
Oh dear. I’m not a great over-sharer. I have a habit of eating biscuits in bed with a cup of tea at night when I can’t sleep but in terms of guilty pleasures I’m worried it ranks alongside running through wheat fields.
6. What was your journey to getting published?
In five sentences.
Writing my book while living in Greece. Attending an Arvon course. Finishing it in Derbyshire. Meeting my agent at a party. Katherine Armstrong (then at Faber) acquiring it.
7. Creative writing courses? Good or bad? Yes or no? One-word answer.
8. Imagine this. You are attending a dinner party with four fictitious book characters – who would they be and why?
George Smiley – one of the great literary creations.
Miss Marple – she could improve my knitting and I’d tell her some of my village stories.
Doctor Watson – more convivial company than Holmes.
Connie Childs – I’d love to meet one of my own characters in real life.